Saturday, September 11, 2010

Just not feeling the Eisa/Beer fest

We went to the Eisa/Beer festival today. It's a HUGE event, my first "sea of humanity" experience in Okinawa. I had high hopes due to my love of Eisa drumming but it just wasn't very exciting. There were what felt like 100 food booths and 200 game booths. I didn't count or anything but they just went on forever...




We paid 300 yen for Thomas to play his favorite duck game where he won a car in .2 seconds. Then we walked around till we got to the stadium with the drumming, but you had to pay for bleacher seats and we knew Thomas wasn't going to sit still so we sat in the free grassy area. We were immediately swarmed by bugs, Josh thinks they were fleas, but I have my doubts. They were very flea like, but they were huge. So we didn't stay in that area very long.
We walked to the entrance of the Beer fest, but it was a little rowdy already and decided to not take Thomas into the party zone. This was when we decided we were over it. The only thing we could really do was play games or eat really fatty food and we just weren't feeling it. It was about this time that a group of about 10 girls all stopped walking and squealed in Thomas' general direction. I wish I had my video camera ready for moments like this...it's just hilarious.

On the way out we saw a bunch of kids with fish and knew we had to stop...I was expecting the ping pong game, but they just gave Josh a net and had him pick three fish out of a pond. Very anti-climactic. Thomas didn't care. He was thrilled!


I don't have high hopes for their survival, but we'll give it our best.



I bet this guys mom is really proud of him.


One thing I really did like about the festival...you know how carnies are weird and scary and pushy? Not here. Smiles and politeness all around.

We also went to a new Farmer's Market today that I loved! But I forgot my camera...luckily I'll have no qualms about going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment