Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Maybe next year...

Yesterday was Josh's birthday. I might have dropped the ball on planning anything really cool for that day. It's kind of a trend with his birthday that I feel bad about.


The first birthday I was around for I booked us a funky suite at a boutique hotel in downtown Wilmington. I thought we could go bar hopping at all the bars we went to when we first met, get a nice dinner and not have to worry about driving anywhere. Sounds like fun right? But at the time I worked at a daycare where all the kids were passing around a stomach bug and while I never fell prey to the virus it definitely got to Josh. He spent his birthday worshiping the porcelain god.
The next year I was 5 days away from delivering his son and already contracting. I think we got taco bell and played rummikub. Not the most exciting birthday, except we were wondering if he wasn't going to get a son for his birthday for a few hours there.
The year after that he was deployed to Iraq, and I couldn't even send him anything because he so close to coming home (YAY) that they weren't accepting packages or even letters at that point.

This year was my chance, my opportunity to redeem myself, but in all the upheaval of moving his birthday just wasn't on my radar. No one's was. I mean we haven't even gotten all of Thomas' presents yet and his birthday is on Sunday. I think he had a good evening altogether. We went to Macaroni Grill and I let him have a beer even though that required me to drive at night. I hate driving at night, they don't use reflective paint so lanes are a guessing game after sunset. Then we headed to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream, came home and I packed his lunch for him. I helped Thomas make him a card and that's about it. He picked a present a few weeks ago but I can't even remember what he picked.


These are the only pictures I got of his birthday "celebration". They'll look great in a scrapbook...or not. There's always next year right?

No comments:

Post a Comment