Sunday, August 15, 2010

Curtains and weird neighbors

I hate posting without pictures, but I can't find my camera cord. So oh well.

We got our first electric bill, and it wasn't too bad, but I've talked to more than one military family who talk about their $5-600 electricity bills and I'm scared! Especially now that we have our myriad of electronics here. (Yay for tv!) In an effort to not be paying hundreds of dollars for electricity we went on the hunt for thermal/blackout curtains. We're already fans of how much it helps Thomas sleep.
The problem here is that shopping on base means very limited options. Most colors only had one or two panels on the shelf...I needed 8 panels. To be honest, I'm just not a fan of sage, or navy or burgundy. I spent hours online, falling in love with curtains that were backordered or can't be shipped to an APO address and gave up. I asked around about curtains in town, but they're expensive to begin with and throw in the very sad exchange rate and it's just not worth it.

I'm going to embrace the pathetic amount of options I have. It's forced simplifying. We ended up with chocolate brown in the bedrooms, and sage (yuck) in the guest room. While I'm not a fan of how any of them look I've gotta say, the blackout properties of the chocolate colored curtains are amazing. It's like the batcave in there! We aren't even running AC in those rooms and it's bearable. That's incredible! $40 bucks a window is well worth it.

I'm pretty sure Josh and Thomas don't ever want to hear the word curtain again.

We got neighbors...I think. We heard people moving a few things in. But since then we haven't heard them at all, although they did put tin foil on their door. I think they may be huddled in there wearing tin foil hats waiting for aliens.

We also got Thomas his Halloween costume. We were planning on a shark costume we had seen online, but again they don't ship to APO. We were at the BX and I noticed that there were only two toddler costumes left, one was a little miss sailorette and the other was a peanut. So I went for the peanut costume. I asked Josh if he would get a syringe costume and be an epipen... he didn't get it.

That's really all I've got. Having our express shipment get here kept us at home from all the celebrating this weekend, but it's so nice to feel like it's a little more like home.

1 comment: