Monday, August 2, 2010

The travel bug. It bit me.

I've already said this but I am not a travel kind of person. Or at least I wasn't until we arrived here. But now? Now that I've seen things I never even knew existed....well I want to see more. It's like being a kid all over again. Everything is new and exciting.

I spend far too much time looking on the travel website that runs from base. I try to budget in my head to see if we can take any of these trips while we're here. I daydream. Then I think about wanting to buy a house someday. And wanting to leave the island with zero car payments.

Car payments? Mortgages? Why?

I want to walk the great wall of china and see the terra cotta soldiers.

I want to sail Ha Long Bay in a junket ship in Vietnam. (and wake up every morning and say "Goooooood Moooorning Vietnaaaaaam")

I want Tokyo Disney. I want to ride the rides and not understand the narrative. I want people to stare at my blonde headed child.

I want an Australian cruise, where I would make incessant jokes about dingoes eating my baby.

I want Singapore and Thailand and Korea.

I want to see Sumo wrestlers.

I want to go to the Ninja restaurant. And the Alice in Wonderland restaurant.

I want to hang out in a tiny hotel (some lady's house) and feed monkeys on a snowy mountain.

I want to climb Mt Fuji (after I spend a few months in the gym)

I want. I want. I want.


I want a secure future with a roof over our heads and enough in retirement accounts to live off the interest.


So I'm consoling myself by promising to see as many crazy, interesting, weird, wonderful and new things on this beautiful island. I'm going to venture to the outer islands, the ones completely untouched by war and incredibly full of centuries old culture.

Being here is more than I ever knew I could have wanted. No use being bummed about the lack of terra cotta soldiers in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Angel, I am so excited for you! I've had the travel bug bad for so long that I've come to the conclusion that the only way to satisfy myself at all for awhile is to live in another country.

    ReplyDelete